Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Training for the Trolley Run

The Trolley Run is coming up in about 8 weeks (April 25th) so Rach and I have started training for the run. Now we do subscribe Runners World and of course we have the interwebs so we have a gambit of information on when to run, how far to run, what form is the best, what shoes to buy, what music to listen to, how long our strides should be, how to breathe, etc, etc, etc… Who knew that running was so difficult*? Here I was thinking it was one foot in front of the other over and over again until you could move anymore. Apparently it’s quite the science, so we sat down together and developed plan (how nerdy is that?) and scheduled our runs and gym time.

*Funny story, my senior year in high school I decided that I was going to run cross country ( I weighed about 190 then, but still fat) just for fun. Fun my ass. Far from fun. 3.1 miles of pure hell. Okay to be fair I never made it 3.1 miles. During “practice” I would catch rides from people back to the school and never really finish. Of course I was on the JV team, only because there were not many people that wanted to torture themselves. So there I was at my first race wearing shorts that were too short and a “jersey” or whatever you wore in a race that was too tight (they did not make XL, Cross Country runners do not wear XL). I started out strong and was not in last place, yet. The race was in Pleasant Hill, MO and part of the course zigzagged through a giant field. Down and back, down and back. I finally reached the end of the field course and all my buddies were there cheering me on, even though I was in dead last and I mean dead last. My closeset competitor was probably on the bus back home by now. I went to turn the corner to head towards the finish line and my great friend Rusty, who I had known since I was like 7 said something that made me want to punch him right in the face. He said “dude you have to go through the field, again” Right there that very day I retired from Cross Country.

So Rach and I have worked out a nice schedule to train 5 days a week at the gym and how far we are to run each day/week. This week we are to run 2.44 miles 5 times for a total of 12.2 miles for the week. The next week we bump the 12.2 miles by 10% to 13.42 miles for a total of 2.68 miles every day. We do this 10% thing each week and by the end we have worked ourselves up to 4 miles. Yesterday I busted my ass and ran 2.5 miles in about 30 minutes. Now obviously I need to improve my time, but even though I’m older, and fatter than I was in high school I can run better. Of course today my body is crazy sore and I was only able to eek out 1.5 miles in 20 minutes throwing me off my training schedule, but I still feel good about it. I often think back to that race at Pleasant Hill and I wish I would have run that gosh darn field one more time and finished. At the Trolley Run, I will finish no doubt about it.

Oh and by the way if you have read down this far click on this link and consider donating or running with us. Thanks.

3 comments:

  1. True story. I love that one. Thanks for the namedrop.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think you called me a nerd?!? ha
    I like that we have a schedule and a goal, gives me something to go for and push towards. I would let the 4 miles overwhelm me if it was any other way.
    Great job at the Y Babe...5:30am is too damn early! ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. I featured the Trolley Run on my blog. i wish I could be there!

    My best always
    Sean

    ReplyDelete