Monday, March 29, 2010

Googling yourself and an eerie coincidence? I think not.

Have you ever googled yourself? (is it me or does that sound dirty?) I know, I know, how vein and conceded right? Sort of, but I was reading an article on cnn.com about young job seekers hiding their facebook pages so potential employers cannot see their extracurricular activities and musings. Well, I happen to be searching for a new job myself as I just finished my degree in Management (with a 4.0 by the way) and have enrolled in grad school. (I’m an attractive employment candidate right? Any takers? Anyone? Hello, is this thing on?) Anyway, I wondered, what happens when you google my name? So I did, and it turns out there are several people out there who share my name. There is a Joe Riddell facebook page that is not my own, there is Joe Riddell, owner of Riddell Realty in Lexington, KY, there is even a Joe Riddell on twitter with the screen name ‘horsemanjoe,’ which reminds me of Ric Flair and Arn Anderson, but that is a different topic for a different day.

The fifth item down on the list was this.

Joseph Riddell Death Notice: Joseph Riddell's Obituary by the ...
Feb 22, 2010 ... Online death notice for Joseph Riddell. Read Joseph Riddell's life story, offer tributes/condolences, send flowers or create a Joseph ...

www.legacy.com/obituaries/.../obituary.aspx?n=joseph-riddell-joe...- Cached

Weird, right? Maybe a bit strange. Normally this type of thing would not bother me except I was listening to my Pandora internet radio and it just so happened that the song “You Only Live Once” by The Strokes was playing in my ear. (to be fair the lyrics aren’t really about life and death, but the title certainly implies it) Now I don’t believe in signs or karma or any of that stuff at all. I just don’t. Everything is random and things just happen. But this was strange. Even to me. So just this once, I’m taking it as a sign, whether it is fabricated in my brain or not. And from what I am going through at this time it was the perfect combination of two random entities that came together at the exact right time. I needed to see this, ponder it, and absorb what it means.

I do only live once. I had better make the best of it. What would my life story say? What would my legacy be? It's time to start living and it's time to start appreciating what I am and what I have.

3 comments:

  1. You don't wanna know what happens when I Google myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. !!!his granddaughter was named Isabella...weird and they had him listed as Joe...not weird, yours would probably say "Joey". hahahaha

    I do believe things happen for a reason. Like I asked you out on our first date because you were too shy to ask me, therefore we now live happily ever after. How else was I suppose to get my prince-charming? Think about it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've googled myself before too, mostly out of curiosity. Some of the things that pop up are kinda funny. Seeing an obit certainly wouldn't fall under that category, though.

    Hey, congrats on the 4.0 from a fellow high achiever!

    ReplyDelete