Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Wow.

Wow. All I have to say is wow. After my last post I received so many comments, well wishes, and overwhelming support that I wasn’t sure what to say. Thank you all. You have no idea how much those comments mean to me. I would never have considered myself an inspirational person, but if my journey and my story can help someone going through the same struggles then that is great. (and Chad, of course I remember you and thank you very much for your sentiments) It seems to me that we are all connected, regardless of age, education, political preference, religion or appearance. In spite of all of our differences we are all pretty much the same. I have learned that most of us do struggle to find our way and figure out just exactly why we are here. And each and every time we have an interaction with someone, whether in line at the grocery store, over the phone with a loved one, or even by reading a blog, that we can have a profound effect on that person’s life. Everything we do or say changes the course of events during the day. Maybe not in a dramatic way, but think about it. What if that person who waited on you at Subway was more polite and friendly? In turn would you maybe be nicer to your spouse when you go home? Who would then be more willing to skip the game and take a walk? The list is infinite. I know I’m not the first person to think of this, but it’s food for thought.
My journey is far from over for I have many more pounds to lose and even more life challenges ahead of me. I am glad to share it. I was initially embarrassed to write with such emotion, but it has been therapeutic to me and I anticipate that it will continue to have that effect. I would also be lying if I didn’t say that the comments don’t help motivate and inspire me. Initially this was just supposed to be a chronicle of my weight loss on Myspace, and it has turned into so much more. I am in the process of discovering myself. Facing my fears, and strengthening my weaknesses. It is proving to myself that I am worth it. That my family is worth it. I am starting to believe. Believe in myself. Trust in my ability and not just live up to my potential but exceed it.
I would be remiss not to mention that this blog, Sean Anderson's Day 327. It is hands down one of the best things that you will ever read. Everything he says is true. Every. Last. Word. I am still in the transition process. I am changing for the better. “I can’t” will soon be eliminated from my vocabulary. It has been and will continue to be a hard road to follow, and it will be a daily struggle, but I am ready.
My weight loss was just the start. That was the easy part. It was the first step. If I hadn’t taken on that challenge I wouldn’t be ready for the next phase. I owe a lot of my success to my wife, Rachel. She has been my rock and my support. I will repay this debt by being the best husband and father that I can be. That is a promise.
Thanks again for reading and a thank you for all of your support,
Joe

3 comments:

  1. Bravo young man. So what you are saying, is that all I have to do is be nicer to you and you won't watch sports? ha Just kidding, kind of.
    I do agree that this blog may be a powerful tool. For yourself and for all those others that secretly read it and change something, big or small.
    How big will the party be when you reach your weight loss goal and then graduation and then acceptance into law school...? Let's start planning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Go for it Joe - exceed your potential!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe,
    Your life will never be the same. You've decided.
    And oh my, the power of an "Iron-Clad" decision can do anything. Anything Joe.

    It touches me that my Day 327 post effected you like that.
    It's truly a pleasure to follow your success.

    My best always
    Sean

    ReplyDelete